I was an 80’s girl. As a senior in high school, I chanted with my peers, “We’re gonna party like it’s 1999” and in 1987, future years like “1999” and “2000” seemed like a time-warp to the space age. But here we are, beginning 2018, and those space-age years are nothing more than history now.
Thankfully, my understanding changed quite a bit before I reached the real 1999, and instead of partying with the world, I was celebrating salvation and my life in Christ. But I’m still amazed every year when the calendar rolls over.
Is this the year He will return?
Will this year be the last chance we have to reach the lost?
None of us will know for sure, so we continue on… But one thing I have learned is, most things get better with age.
- WISDOM: As one person said, “You can acquire knowledge from a book, but only by living can you acquire wisdom.”
- PATIENCE: We eventually learn all good things come to those who wait, so what’s the hurry?
- CARS: The classics have ageless appeal.
- REAL ESTATE: Many believe if you hold on to it long enough, it’s value will grow.
- And of course, CHEESE: (or so I’ve been told…)
You could probably name many more things or attributes that tend to better with time, but what I really want to remind you of is what the writer of Hebrews said becomes BETTER with time. After centuries of prophecies, battles, and divine intervention, God proved that better things really do come to those who wait with expectant hope:
- BETTER COMMUNICATION: “Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. And now in these final days, He has spoken to us through His Son” (Hebrews 1:1). Jesus is the Word made flesh. In other words, the Bible (specifically the New Testament) has become the primary way God speaks to His children. And the Holy Spirit helps us understand what God has said through His Son Jesus.
- BETTER HOPE: “For the law never made anything perfect. But now we have confidence in a better hope, through which we draw near to God” (Hebrews 7:19). It doesn’t matter how many new year’s roll in, our hope in Christ remains an anchor for our souls.
- BETTER COVERING: “There were many priests under the old system, for death prevented them from remaining in office. But because Jesus lives forever, His priesthood lasts forever. Therefore He is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through Him. He lives forever to intercede with God on our behalf” (Hebrews 7:23-25). I’m so glad we don’t have to perform ritual ceremonies to be made right with God. Jesus covered us once and for all!
- BETTER COVENANT & BETTER PROMISES: “But now Jesus, our High Priest, has been given a ministry that is far superior to the old priesthood, for He is the one who mediates for us a far better covenant with God, based on better promises” (Hebrews 8:6). You and I have the best advocate (lawyer, attorney, defender) Heaven could buy!
- BETTER POSSESSIONS: “…you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward” (Hebrews 10:34-35). No matter what hand Earth has dealt us, we have a quality of life that is far superior than that without Christ.
I guess my point is, no matter how many more “New Year’s” we enter, we should have confidence that everything IN CHRIST gets better and better!
I hope and pray 2018 is your BEST YEAR YET!